Sciatica is a very severe back pain radiating to the buttocks, legs and feet, which is accompanied by tingling or numbness in legs / feet and can lead to muscle weakness in later stages. In extreme cases, loss of bladder control or bowel and difficulty walking or maintaining balance can occur. This occurs when the hernia is so great that fills the spinal canal completely.
Treatment and prevention
Conservative treatment of sciatica – Most episodes of sciatica heal by themselves with the help of some home care. You can try the following household measures to reduce pain and promote healing:
- Rest for twenty four hours once you have started pain to avoid injury.
- Sleep on a firm mattress with a table below.
- Lie on your side with a pillow between your legs to keep the hips have a rotary movement and increase pressure on the back or lie down on your back with a rolled towel under the neck and pillows under your knees. Avoid lying on your stomach.
- Get out of bed slowly and carefully, first sitting and then standing up.
- Apply ice or cold packs for twenty minutes every two hours during the first twenty-four to forty-eight hours to reduce pain and muscle spasms. After forty-eight hours apply heat to improve circulation and healing. The use of ice or heat is an individual choice that depends on what you prefer and what reduce pain.
- Take painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs as per your doctor’s advice. It is best to take these medicines with milk or food to protect the stomach. Pregnant women should consult their doctor before taking any medication.
- Besides the vigorous activity should be avoided for six weeks after the pain is gone for a complete healing and prevent pain from occurring again.
Always use good posture by following these steps:
- Distribute your weight evenly while standing.
- Maintain a high standing on a box or step if standing for long periods.
- Keep your head and shoulders back while walking.
- Keep your back straight and resting on a chair with both feet flat on the floor or on a footrest high, and avoid sinking into the chair.
- Wear shoes with low heels or flat to avoid strain on the back.
- Make body movements correctly when lifting heavy or awkward objects.
A chiropractic care will help you to say “Goodbye Back Pain”, also the treatment will help you eliminate sciatica pain naturally soon. For more details about Sciatica Treatment Denver, visit here